Counselling for Behavioral & School Issues

Counselling for children who struggle with their learning, or managing their behaviour, in school, can be very effective. It provides them with the support they need to develop emotion regulation skills, sharpen their ability to stay focused, and fortify their sense of well being.

When a child’s ability to achieve success at school is compromised, through behavioural, learning or focusing problems, it can affect their confidence in school, and has a significant impact on their emerging sense of self and well being.

We have therapists at Turning Point who specialize in their work with children. Through their ability to build safe and trusting relationships, they can provide opportunities for children to express themselves, identify their needs and work for positive change. Therapy occurs through the playful use of games, exploration and dialogue.

You and your child have identified problems, and we can provide support. Our therapists want to work with you to find healthy, effective solutions. Children and youth enjoy working with a therapist. It is time devoted to them.

When a child is experiencing difficulty in school as a result of inattentiveness, distractibility, or disruptive behaviour it can be really hard on you and your child or teen. Therapy can be effective. Our therapists will listen to your concerns, provide emotional support, create a safe space for building on strengths, and facilitate growth in areas that require change. We also want to work actively with parents to support change in the family system.


What is the difference between a child and youth therapist, and other therapists at Turning Point Counselling?

Our child and youth therapists have specific education, training and skill sets that are geared towards children. The needs of children and youth, and their ability to express themselves, are remarkably different from adults. To be effective it requires competent therapists to acquire an understanding and knowledge of child and youth development. 

Will my therapist work in concert with my child’s teacher if the issue of concern is a school issue, like bullying?

Our therapists understand the value of collaborating with community partners, including teachers and schools if the need arises. Should this occur, a release of information form will need to be completed beforehand with the child (over the age of 12) or the parent’s consent. 

Does my child need therapy?

You know your child best. If you are noticing mood or behavioural changes that are enduring, and these are causing concern, you may want to consult with the teacher and school first to further assess. Increased anxiety, withdrawal, and sadness are indicative of difficulty and may prompt you to initiate a conversation with your child about counselling. If there have been sudden changes in your home, such as separation and/or divorce, serious illness, or bereavement, counselling may be an option you would like to consider for your child or youth.

Do you provide child and youth biopsychosocial or psychoeducational assessments?

No. To obtain formal assessments, you will need to consult with a psychologist. The ways to find a psychologist include:

  • Talk with the child’s school regarding the possibility of seeing a psychologist that works with the school board. This is paid for by the school board, however, there are often long waitlists. 
  • Seeing a psychologist working in private practice is usually the quickest option.  In many cases, a family member’s extended health plan may cover some of this expense. 

How to become a client

To send a confidential message, please fill out our contact form or email us directly at Our administrative support team will contact you within one business day. Once we have assessed what your needs are we will connect you with a therapist that, we believe, is aligned with what you are looking for.